Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The rest of our vacation...

From Blairsville, GA Kian and I made our way south to sunny Ft. Lauderdale...its always good to go back "home." The reason I place quotations around home is even though I don't live there and I now consider that wherever my son and husband are that is my home, Ft. Lauderdale will always hold a very near and dear place in my heart. Its the place of my birth, raising and still home to some of my family and friends. Its the familiar, its the constant that always gives you that "at home" feeling. Nothing will ever take that spot in my heart. Just because I don't live there doesn't mean that it is still not a special place to me. I have gotten away from the hustle and bustle, the very crowded stores, the abundance of people, high cost of living and the TRAFFIC and I don't know if I could adjust back to all of that after I have lived in the extreme opposite. But that doesn't change the love I have for the beautiful scenery (the BEACHES!!), the vibrant colors of flowers and greenery, the smell of the ocean breezing its way to meet you wherever you are, the warmth of the sun kissing your face, GREAT restaurants, my family most importantly and Jackson's and Dairy Belle ice cream, but it will always be that special "home."

Ok so with all of that said back to our vacation...we went down to the sunshine state mainly for my Aunt's 50th Birthday!!! Of course to see the rest of my family but to share her day was wonderful. My Memaw surprised her with a party at a old family favorite Tropical Acres Restaurant (if you have never been you should at least go once, its the oldest steakhouse in South Florida). I made her cake which was a lot of fun. It was a lemon cake which is her favorite. Alot of wonderful people were there and she received wonderful gifts. Her most favorite was the most requested and wished for which was her Rolex watch. She was very happy to receive that from my Memaw and my Uncle. I thought my gift was the best which was a collectors spoon (picked it up for 25 cents at the Lawton city wide rummage) with the Rolex emblem but she didn't find the joke funny at all she just wanted the watch. Picky, picky I tell you. That was the biggest event that happened and as I said my main purpose, so the rest of the time was filled with fun and time with family. Kian and I did make it to TY park with Karen and James to go swimming. We were only there for a few days so it went fast but it was fun. We were glad to get home and see Larry.

No comments: