Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A day in the life...

The other day Kian decided that it would be his day to do everything he could to get me into a straight jacket. I almost went loopy because of this child. Thankfully the Lord has been answering my prayer to find joy in my sons capability to cause chaos at any given moment. To include you in the madness I will share my Friday with you...are you ready?

Larry and I were awakened to the pitter patter, no scratch that, THUNDERING sound of our dear sons monster feet running down the hall to the living room and then back down the hall to our room realizing we were still in bed. He opened our door and climbed on top of us in bed ready to take on the world. He had alot to say that morning but all not making any sense to us as it was all in Kian gibberish. So with that great awakening at a little after 6 we all arose from the bed to start the day. Kian has become our alarm since he has moved to a bog boy bed, its not everyday but it does happen more often than not. Very independent. He thinks. As every other morning Kian has breakfast usually a sippy cup of milk, banana and cereal. Nothing fantastic I know but it gets the job done. With breakfast over, Kian watching Sid the Science Kid I went about making the beds and straightening up leaving him on his own...BIG MISTAKE! I came out to the kitchen and there he was covered in brown goo. I could not figure it out at first until I looked at what he had in his chubby little hands...a tub of Pillsbury's finest Chocolate Icing. Needless to say he was enjoying his great find. It was all over his mouth and face and of course on his hands and even up his arms. He enjoyed a nice bath after that. After his bath it just seemed as though he had the busiest hands on the planet. He was into everything that day for some reason. Finally after lunch and a very long attempt to put him down for nap he slept for about an hour and a half. Until that hour and a half was over, I had peace and quiet. I even got a shower accomplished not having to worry that he would escape my house (thats another blog story). Anyway, when he woke up it began as any normal afternoon we played and he had snack. As I was getting dinner ready he was in the living room with Curious George babysitting him. Well lets say that monkey didn't do a good job. I went to peek in on him and didn't see him until I heard a little giggle coming from my ottoman. As I walked over, lo and behold there was a blonde head sticking out of the top. There he was, my son, with a stolen bag of pretzels hiding in the ottoman. There were pretzel sticks all in his lap and on the bottom of the ottoman. He was having quite the laugh at his own self thinking he had pulled off the greatest pretzel scam in the world.

After I retrieved all of the pretzels and my son out of the ottoman his adventure wasn't over. I went back into the kitchen to attempt to fix dinner again. This particular day it was gorgeous here in Iowa so I had the windows open to enjoy it. Well my son figured out a way that he could enjoy the day without even leaving the inside of the house. From the kitchen I hear him shouting and laughing again. A sure sign of trouble in the midst. I go out into the living room and he has climbed on top of one of our living room chairs and has his head and half of his body out the window. Not so bad you say, well, how about this...we have screens on our windows. Yes that is right, screens. He popped out the lower right hand corner of our screen and was enjoying the breeze, yelling at the kids playing outside. I guess he wanted in on the action. You would think with all of this activity it would be it. Well it wasn't. After I fixed the screen and corrected him for it, Kian joined me in the kitchen. I still haven't become the mom with the "eyes in the back of her head." I know my mom, grandmother and aunt all had them, but I am desperately waiting for mine to grow. If anyone has any suggestions in how I do that please let me know, again I am desperate. Just to tell you how much, this was the next adventure...I turned around and there he was in all his glory, no pants just a shirt and oh guess what, no diaper either, where was his diaper you say?? The DIRTY diaper that should have been on his bottom, well it was around his neck. Thankfully it was dirty but not #2 just #1. But still. Are you serious? With Kian I have alot of adventurous days. He definitely keeps me on my toes. Larry and I do not have the luxury of our parents or any close family (Steph is a work-a-holic) being around to dump him off too so to let them in on everything I was going through I texted (is that right??) them all pics and messages of what he did. They all came back with laughs and thinking of how cute he was. I honestly wasn't thinking that he was cute that day but as I said in the beginning the Lord is working on me. Not that I am accepting of his behavior, he needs to listen, obey and behave but I am wanting to find the joy in correcting him. All that Larry and I do in raising him ultimately will lead him in the understanding of his own sinful heart, the understanding that he is a sinner and that he needs a Savior. Prayerfully the day will come when he will surrender his life to Christ and serve Him. Will he become perfect on that day and never do anything like, steal frosting, hide pretzels, leap out the window and wrap a dirty diaper around his neck, no, but he will recognize the gift he has been given through Christ and the cross and hopefully aim to glorify the Lord in all of his actions. There is a goal to this correcting, and I want to find joy in the process of getting there no matter how big of a mess he makes.

No comments: