In the midst of being pregnant, moving to a new home/city, adjusting to our new lifestyle I decided this year would be the year for my first garden. I know what you are thinking..."what are you thinking?" And in the words of my beloved Memaw, "Aren't you a little big to be worried about a garden at this time?" Gotta love the bluntness! Anyway, but yes it is crazy that I would think that this would be a good time for a garden and yes, Memaw, I am a little "big" these days, but I did it. When we moved into our new home there was an 8x8 space that was at one point some kind of garden. So I decided that we were going to weed it all out and plant, from seeds mind you, the garden of a lifetime! My parents have had a garden and my father-in-law is quite the gardener himself. **Side note: I love to go to their house in the summer. My FIL has so many beautiful flowers, vegetables and even some crazy looking gourds that he plants every year. Its amazing to see the job that they do in their yard every year. Its inspiring.** With all of that in mind I figured I would be able to get great advice and I could do it.
Larry has been such a great encourager in my adventure. I have never had a garden, I don't even think I have ever grown anything on my own. I went to the store and bought some seed packets and started indoors in March. I planted Cherry Tomatoes, Jalapenos and a kaleidoscope mix of peppers. They grew exactly how the packet said they would in the time frame promised. So, I continued to follow the directions and 8 weeks later, when we were free from our final frost, we prepared the garden and planted them outside. I also have planted Green Beans, Red Onions, Sunflowers, Strawberries and Sweet Peas (Larry's favorite not really mine). These all from seeds as well. My little garden I started inside have not pulled through well, they are lacking in growth and I can't really understand why, but everything else however are growing like weeds! My only problem is that there is grass growing in my garden. Is that ok? I am not sure if it is. I have been pulling it as much as I can but its like hair on your head you pull one and three grow back. Its actually insane. The weeds are not so bad I pull them probably every week but its the grass that drives me nuts. I also planted cilantro, basil, oregano and chamomile in some pots and we also have some flower beds that I have planted Cosmos, Aster and one other type of flower that I cannot remember what it is at this time. They are growing very well and I cannot wait to see how beautiful they are going to be when they bloom. Maybe I was a little over ambitious this year but I am hoping for a bountiful crop. I really want to get out there in it but its a little difficult with the bulging belly in front of me. Larry has been really helpful in getting into the middle of the garden for me and I am still able to get the sides. But I think I will be taking a break from it for just a little bit, even though I really don't want to. We will see what happens, if I fail at least we still have some good farmers markets here in Wisconsin! Hope you enjoy the pics and I will take ANY gardening advice you have! Thanks.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment