He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug
He calls me Dad and I call him Bub
With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh
He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"
I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight
Trippin' over the toys as I turn out the light
And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see
He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me
Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me
Got to admit I've got so far to go
Make so many mistakes and I'm sure that You know
Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try
With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right
But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best
Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness
'Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees
And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me
Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall
But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all
Anyone who knows Kian or anyone who sees Kian and Larry together know that he is already a "mini-me" of Larry. They look exactly alike. They even have the same facial expressions. When I watch Kian with Larry you can see in his eyes how much he adores and admires Larry. His daddy is truly his hero. Kian lights up when Larry enters a room.
I know all of this but for some reason today it was even more magnified when Larry was doing a simple chore...mowing the lawn.
Larry went out to mow the lawn and Kian just wanted to be out there with him. So I took him outside, thinking that if we were just outside where he could see Larry he would be satisfied. That was not the case. Kian had to have something to push around the yard too. Not too long ago I purchased a plastic lawnmower toy from a rummage for 25 cents. I now feel that it was the best quarter I have ever spent. Kian followed his dad around the entire yard pulling along his lawnmower. He even ducked under the tree branch, just like daddy, eventhough he was not even close in hitting the branch. 

I never realized how much a child can adore their parent at such a young age until I watched my son today. I know in his heart Larry fears the day that this will all go away. Sometimes I will hear him say to Kian, " I need to get all the hugs & kisses now because when you get older you will probably be too embarrassed to be around me." Larry is such a wonderful father. Everyday he proves how great of a father he is. He gives 100% all the time. Do we as parents have all the right answers...ABSOLUTELY NOT! But we are doing the best we can. The Lord has given Kian to us as a precious gift and we prayerfully will do what we can to raise him in the Lord. I know that Larry is the best father that Kian needs and I know that Kian will always love, admire and adore his daddy.
As I think about Kian and Larry, I think about this baby girl that is going to be joining us here in just a few weeks. At times I am overwhelmed to think that she will be looking towards me as her example of who she will want to be like. Am I ready for that task? I don't know if we are ever ready for such a large undertaking, but I do know that I am encouraged to be exatly what the Lord wants me to be, to be the mother that she needs me to be. It is such a blessing to be a parent. I am so thankful for the task that has been entrusted to me and so thankful that Larry is the one I am on this journey of parenthood with.

1 comment:
Ok this TOTALLY made me tear up!:)...and I don't think its the hormones:)
I have always loved that song!
Post a Comment