As all of you know Larry has started a new career with Cargill Meat Solutions. He is a Supervisor on 2nd Shift. For those of you who are not familiar with the 2nd shift world, he goes to work at about 2 or 2:30pm everyday and gets home well after midnight every night (like almost 3am or later). He should get home at about 1am, but with different issues at the plant that is a rare happenning. He has every Sunday off and his other day rotates. But most weeks he has been working 6 days. The last week alone he put in over 70 hours of work. Praise God he has a job, but at the same time it is hard on us as a family. Because he works so late and so much, it often makes it hard on him with sleep. To catch up, when Kian and I wake up in the mornings, he is still asleep. Mostly he does try to get up by 9 or 9:30 so he can have some of his morning with us but it does get difficult, so sometimes he sleeps later. Being together as a family really only happens on Sundays and the other day off, if he gets it. I have really missed him being home with us as it is hard to deal with Kian by myself on a 24/7 basis but we are getting through and praying that a change will come.
With all of this in mind, I have been CRAVING for family time...we all have. On Mother's Day, I knew we would get that because of it being his day off. But how much we would get I had no clue. I knew Larry was going to be really tired. The past week had been really rough with some things going on at work and with him having to work alot more hours. So I thought most likely we won't do much because he will need some rest. I figured he would probably grill steaks or something and we would just be together at home. That was good enough for me. I woke up that Sunday morning with Kian and we both went downstairs so daddy could get some sleeptime. The next thing I knew as we were sitting at the table eating some breakfast Larry came downstairs all dressed. I said, "Where are you going?" He said, "He needed to run to the store and he would be right back." I thought you don't need to go to the store you need rest. But my arguement was not going to stop him and off he went. He returned a short time later and he and Kian came downstairs with Kian handing me a Dove Chocolate bar and a card! The man knows the key to my heart! I openned the card and with great sentiments in it was also a great surprise at the end of his paragraph of compliments and loving words were these 5 words "Now get ready to go..." and on the back of the card it said "DOOR COUNTY!!!"
When we moved here we were told that Wisconsin holds the "Cape Cod" of the Midwest which is located in Door County. It is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from here depending on where you go in the county. Anyway, ever since we were told about this place I have wanted to go and see it. Come to find out Larry had packed the car up when he came home at about 2:30am the night before and we were going for the night!! Can you believe it!! He had gotten the next day off and we were going to have a whole two days together with no distractions or things-to-do lists! I was so excited I jumped out of the chair to get ready to go. We recently just became owners of a Jeep Wrangler so we have been anxiously waiting for the warmer weather and the opportunity to drive the coast with the top down. This was going to be it and I couldn't be more ecstatic to share this time with my two favorite guys on earth..JPG)
We took the drive to Door County, stopped and got some Wendy's and just enjoyed the ride. Its a really pretty drive up along the coast of Lake Michigan. We found a state park to stay at Pottawatami Park. We searched for the perfect campsite and set up camp. Our campsite was in the woods and a short walk to the water.
We loved it. Larry started a fire and we had brats and hot dogs and smores for dessert. What a perfect night. Then we all piled in the tent, had a few giggles and went to sleep. We got up the next morning and enjoyed some grilled cheese over the fire and went off to explore Sturgeon Bay. Everywhere we went was so beautiful and had so much to see. We found a pizza buffet where we enjoyed lunch and then we drove back to our site. We packed up camp and headed back home. We drove back through Green Bay as we were both curious to see what it was like. Its a very small town with a very huge NFL stadium and filled with some Packer pride. All in all, it was a quick trip but we felt that we had so much time together and were able to see and do so much. I had a fantastic Mothers Day and it will be one I will never forget. Thank you Larry for creating such a special and wonderful day filled with many memories. I loved it.
P.S. I will get some pics up here soon!
With all of this in mind, I have been CRAVING for family time...we all have. On Mother's Day, I knew we would get that because of it being his day off. But how much we would get I had no clue. I knew Larry was going to be really tired. The past week had been really rough with some things going on at work and with him having to work alot more hours. So I thought most likely we won't do much because he will need some rest. I figured he would probably grill steaks or something and we would just be together at home. That was good enough for me. I woke up that Sunday morning with Kian and we both went downstairs so daddy could get some sleeptime. The next thing I knew as we were sitting at the table eating some breakfast Larry came downstairs all dressed. I said, "Where are you going?" He said, "He needed to run to the store and he would be right back." I thought you don't need to go to the store you need rest. But my arguement was not going to stop him and off he went. He returned a short time later and he and Kian came downstairs with Kian handing me a Dove Chocolate bar and a card! The man knows the key to my heart! I openned the card and with great sentiments in it was also a great surprise at the end of his paragraph of compliments and loving words were these 5 words "Now get ready to go..." and on the back of the card it said "DOOR COUNTY!!!"
When we moved here we were told that Wisconsin holds the "Cape Cod" of the Midwest which is located in Door County. It is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from here depending on where you go in the county. Anyway, ever since we were told about this place I have wanted to go and see it. Come to find out Larry had packed the car up when he came home at about 2:30am the night before and we were going for the night!! Can you believe it!! He had gotten the next day off and we were going to have a whole two days together with no distractions or things-to-do lists! I was so excited I jumped out of the chair to get ready to go. We recently just became owners of a Jeep Wrangler so we have been anxiously waiting for the warmer weather and the opportunity to drive the coast with the top down. This was going to be it and I couldn't be more ecstatic to share this time with my two favorite guys on earth.
We took the drive to Door County, stopped and got some Wendy's and just enjoyed the ride. Its a really pretty drive up along the coast of Lake Michigan. We found a state park to stay at Pottawatami Park. We searched for the perfect campsite and set up camp. Our campsite was in the woods and a short walk to the water.
P.S. I will get some pics up here soon!

1 comment:
Chrissy, that was great! Props for Larry!!!! I totally understand how you feel about the lonely days/nights. During Rob's busy season (Nov.-March) we never see him. Blah! Anyway, thanks for sharing...it was beautiful!
Post a Comment